Simplist is a venture backed digital mortgage marketplace committed to modernizing and simplifying the largely outdated and stressful mortgage application process. Founded in 2018 by a team of experienced real estate and finance professionals, Simplist works with major national firms and established regional lenders alike to quickly and securely match borrowers with the perfect mortgage. Simplist serves as the sole point of contact for borrowers, from application through closing.
Mortgages were created in the 1700s, and we are modernizing the experience for today's consumers. With a ton of buzz in the market around our revolutionary product and dynamic team, now is the best time to join!
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Simplist is looking for a Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join our growing team! Using established underwriting guidelines, you will work alongside the processing team to evaluate borrower financial and credit information to inform lending decisions. We are looking for Underwriters who think outside of the box. When looking at a file we want to make guidelines fit the borrower, not the borrowers fit the guidelines. Our underwriters must possess a working knowledge of residential lending programs and practices with the proven ability to partner with sales and processing to move loans quickly and efficiently through the pipeline. The successful candidate must also be highly self-motivated, entrepreneurial, organized and passionate about growing a business in a team environment. This position can be based in our NYC office once we re-open or fully remote.
· Responsible for reviewing and owning all loan file details prior to submission to closing manager including work done by all upstream partners
· Underwrite and decision residential agency conforming, jumbo and FHA mortgage loans in compliance with company credit guidelines and regulatory requirements
· Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
· Review appraisal reports to identify and resolve any discrepancies discovered within
· Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
· Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
· Manage constant deal flow and prioritize to ensure loans close on time with a high degree of accuracy in a deadline-oriented environment
· 2+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and Non-Conforming mortgages
· Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan Prospector/Loan Product Advisor (LP/LPA)
· Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process
· Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV, etc.)
· Capable of preparing findings reports
· Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
· Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
· Highly dependable, self-starter with good organizational and time management skills
· Thoughtful team player who will innovate to continue to improve the way Simplist serves its customers
· Ability to handle confidential/sensitive information and exercise exceptional judgment
WHAT WE OFFER:
· Competitive compensation + equity in a fast-growing startup
· Medical, dental, and vision coverage plans for you and your dependents (our base medical plan is paid by the company at 100% for you and 50% for your dependents!)
· Flexible time off policy to balance your work and life, including paid parental leave
· Pre-tax savings plans for public transportation and parking expenses
· Fully remote during COVID19, but we look forward to welcoming you in our offices once it is safe to do so!
Simplist is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.